Showing Stocking Tops Forum Index Showing Stocking Tops
The official reincarnation of stockings.proboards84.com

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Ransom Viruses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Showing Stocking Tops Forum Index -> Questions for the moderators and admins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fullbacklead
Downgraded due to low activity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Ransom Viruses Reply with quote

My last two visits to the site have resulted in my computer becoming infected by what is known as a "ransom virus." I can't confirm that the virus came from sst or if it came from Imagebam, but it's happened twice in a row.

If someone's computer becomes infected with this virus, they're asked pay a penalty to the FBI (yeah, right). Otherwise, the computer won't function and an annoying file repeats that the computer has been frozen by the FBI.

Should this virus get around someone's security software, I recommend the following.

1. Use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart the computer
2. While restarting, press F8 to get into the options for Safe Mode
3. Choose "Safe Mode with Networking"
4. From here, the computer should start in safe mode. From here, you could either use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to start the task manager and to manually remove the files, or, go to malwarebytes.com and download their free software. Run the software and the viruses will be removed.
5. Finally, look for an MP3 file titled "1" on your desktop. It's the annoying FBI Warning loop. Simply delete it.

I hope nobody else has this problem, but just in case, I thought this could help.
stockingman888

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may have something to do with Imagebam.

I logged onto it earlier today and every time I tried to see a picture Avast blocked it saying something about malware.

I then did a full scan on my pc, it did'nt find any infected files but now it's working again.

I'm not a computer wizard so I don't understand any of this.
fullbacklead
Downgraded due to low activity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ImageBam, not Showingstockingtops, that's causing the problems. Viruses seem to come from when I view Studniokwa pics hosted by Imagebam.
stockingman888

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a message coming up even when I'm viewing my own pictures so Imagebam must have a problem.
SimonP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not here so it must be Imagebam (we do not, and never will, have adverts here and that's a very common way for these things to get around).

You might want to try using Firefox and the 'Adblock Plus' add-on, I almost never see adverts now and haven't even been warned about anything at Imagebam.
webby13
Gold Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up ...i have had a virus very like the one you describe...not too sure wear i picked it up...cheers Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Showing Stocking Tops Forum Index -> Questions for the moderators and admins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: